Balkanist is hiring a paid part-time editorial assistant in Sarajevo!
We are currently preparing a relaunch of our online magazine, including a complete redesign of our site. In addition, we are hiring a part-time (hours flexible) editorial and administrative assistant to work with Balkanist’s co-founder and editor-in-chief in Sarajevo. Balkanist has far outgrown what we are currently capable of doing with the staff on hand, and are looking to fill this position as soon as possible. The individual hired will be joining an exciting, young, independent, Balkan-based publication that managed to draw international media attention within the first 36 hours of launching.
— A minimum of one year’s experience proofreading and editing online content for publication in English;
— University degree (the equivalent of a US bachelor’s degree or higher) in any discipline is required, though a relevant qualification in English, journalism, or media may be useful;
— Experience in online publishing, including posting content to a CMS system and social media, is highly preferred;
— Must be well-organized, responsible, and able to juggle multiple tasks at once;
— Native or near native English language proficiency;
— Must be able to work quickly and under a tight deadline;
— Proofreading and editing skills;
— Must have good communications skills, especially in using social media and in email correspondence with writers, the media and the public;
— Must be able to work independently;
— Creative thinking, strategizing and problem-solving;
— Bravery and willingness to try new things;
— Knowledge of B/C/S highly preferred.
Duties may include:
- supporting editorial staff in all activities leading to publication, including acting as a personal assistant to the editor;
- liaising with writers, photographers, and designers to negotiate and monitor timescales for stages in the publishing process;
- dealing with the administration of work commissioned to freelance writers, photographers, and designers;
- editing, proofreading, and correcting submissions for publication;
- obtaining the rights to use materials from other publications;
- using computers for word processing, online publishing and email;
- dealing with email queries, e.g. from writers, media and the public;
- staying on top of news and updating our social media accounts;
- assisting in the publication’s development;
- writing articles for publication on Balkanist.
Compensation to be determined based on experience and availability.
If your professional experience meets the criteria listed above, please send a CV, cover letter and one writing sample to editor[AT]balkanist.net with the subject line “Balkanist editorial assistant”. Please keep in mind, we are unable to respond to inquiries sent via social media.